Following an extensive restoration to flying condition by the Real Aeroplane Company at Breighton, Hispano HA-1112-M1L 'Buchon' (G-BWUE) made its first post restoration flight in the very capable hands of Nigel Lamb of the Old flying Machine Company on the afternoon of the 19th May 2006. The camouflage and markings were those of 'Red 1' a Bf 109G-2/trop as flown by Hauptmann Werner Schroer based on the Greek island of Rhodes in early 1943. With its return to Duxford, it was originally operated by the OFMC and based at Duxford from 1996 to 1998, it continued to fly in those colours for its new operators, Spitfire Ltd. In November 2009, the Buchon changed hands again with ownership passing to Historic Flying Ltd at Duxford.
With the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain taking place in 2010, the new owner took the bold decision of having the Buchon repainted in the colour scheme it wore in 1968 during the making of the film 'The Battle of Britain'. In November 2009, the transformation started in 3 hangar with the Buchon having its panels removed and then transported to the ARCo/HFL compound for stripping down and repainting in its new colour scheme
supervised by Colin Pope, who did all the research for the new scheme, and the ARCo/HFL team of engineers and restorers.
Although tantalising glimpses of G-BWUE had been seen outside in the later part of May, it wasn't until the afternoon of the 9th April 2010, that 'Yellow 10/C.4K-102' emerged into the hazy sunshine of a late Friday afternoon as it was transferred from the ARCo/HFL compound to their storage area in Hangar 2.