With a low back and tear drop canopy, TE184 was built as an Mk XVIe on the Castle Bromwich production line and delivered to 9MU, Cosford on the 30th May 1945 to start a lengthy period in storage. In October 45 it moved to 20MU, Ashton Down and in September 1946 to 6MU, Brize Norton where TE184 remained until September 1948 when it was issued to No 203 Advanced Flying School (later renamed No 226 Operational Conversion Unit) at Stradishall, Suffolk. In February 1950, TE184 was transferred to No 607 RAuxAF based at Ouston, Northumberland. In June that year, TE184 was back in storage at 33MU, Lyneham before being issued in November 1950, to the Central Gunnery School, Leconfield. Following a starboard undercarriage collapse on landing in January 1951, the flying career of TE184 came to an end and the airframe was to be used for ground instructional use and delivered to No 64 Reserve Centre, Long Benton, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne with the maintenance serial 6850M. Following its use at the Reserve Centre, TE184 was moved in 1952 to No 1855 Squadron Air Training Corps, Royton, Lancashire where it remained in their care for the next 15 years.
In February 1967, TE184 was moved to RAF Bicester and eventual use as a static airframe in The Battle of Britain film. Following completion of film work in 1968, TE184 moved to RAF Cranwell as a gate guard before moving to RAF Finningley to join the museum collection there. In August 1970, TE184 was on the move again and transferred to 5MU, Kemble and then to 23MU, Aldergrove in 1971 for storage before going on display at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Cultra, Holywood, in March 1977. TE184 was sold to Spitfire restore Nick Grace in 1986. Following the death of Nick Grace in a car accident in October 1988, TE184 was acquired by Myrick Aviation Services with the civilian registration of G-MXVI, in February 1989 and with a complete restoration and rebuild to airworthy condition as a high back Mk XVI with Trent Aero Service, Castle Donington, a first post restoration flight was carried out on the 23rd November 1990. TE184 then moved to Hawker Restorations in December 1996 was then sold on to Alain de Cadenet in 1995. TE184 appeared at the Duxford Spitfire Air Show in May 1998 and in May 1999 appeared briefly in the in the desert camouflage colours of the 308th Fighter Squadron, USAAF, Mediterranean Theatre of Operations, representing ‘Fargo Express’/HL-K as flown by Captain Leland.P.Holland. TE184 appeared at the Duxford 60th Anniversary Battle of Britain Air Show in September 2000 wearing Free French Air Force markings of French roundels and fin flash and the code letter D and invasion stripes on the lower fuselage. Having gone into storage at RAF Halton in 2001.
TE184 was flown to Duxford in March 2004 for maintenance work with the Old Flying Machine Company in Hangar 3. In October 2006, TE184 was sold to Paul Andrews/G2 Trust based at Booker, Bucks and the aircraft underwent a full refurbishment with Personal Plane Services at Booker. In February 2009, TE184 went for another post restoration flight in the hands of Jonathan Whaley. TE184 appeared at the 70th Anniversary Battle of Britain Air Show at Duxford on the 4th September 2010 in the personal markings of Wg Cdr Edward Francis John ‘Jack’ Charles with the code letters of EJC on the fuselage and red spinner as flown on Spitfire Mk IXe(PT396) by Wg Cdr Charles at Tangmere in March 1945 although Wg Cdr Charles had returned to Canada in 1944.
In March 2011, TE184 was sold to the Air Fighter Academy at Heringsdorf, Germany.