With the construction number of 6701, G-BRVE was rolled off the Beechcraft production line in Wichita, Kansas in 1943 as a UC-43B and delivered to the US Navy as a Model GB-2/Bu No 23689 before immediately being shipped to the UK under Lend Lease terms and allocated to the to the Royal Navy as Traveller Mk.I/FT475 with No.782 at Royal Naval Air Station Donnibristle, Scotland. It was used mainly as a high speed light transport and reconnaissance aircraft. Returned to the US Navy after the war as Bu No 32874 and and then allocated the USAAF serial number 44-67724 as a UC-43. On completion of its military service, G-BRVE entered the civilian market and carried the American registration of N1193V. Back in the UK and registered as G-BRVE 1990 it was based at Staverton Airport until 1992 when Dave Gilmour, of Pink Floyd fame, acquired the aircraft and based it with the rest of his fleet at North Weald. In 2001, G-BRVE was acquired by Peter Teichman before being being acquired by The Fighter Collection in 2006.
Built in the UK by Bristol and allocated the RAF Serial JM135. Delivered to the RAAF in July 1943 and flew with 31 Sqn RAAF in September 1943 with the serial A19-144. In October 1943 it had a wheels up landing at Drysdale Mission Airfield in the northern part of Western Australia following a mission to Timor and following repairs returned to 31 Sqn in December 1943. January 1944 and A19-144 had a tail wheel collapse on landing and to avoid hitting parked aircraft, the pilot retracted the main wheels to stop it. Sent for repair but was instead used for spare parts and abandoned at Drysdale. In 1981, what was left of the airframe was recovered along with parts from Beaufighter A19-148. In the early 1990’s The Fighter Collection acquired A19-144 and parts from several other aircraft to make a whole one including the centre section of A-19-148(JL946) and the tail section from Beaufighter A19-36 and cockpit from an Australian built aircraft.
Beech D17S Staggerwing (UC-43-BH)/BuNo 23689/(G-BRVE)
Bristol Beaufighter 21/A19-144/JM135
Curtiss H-75A-1/No.82 was delivered by ship in disassembled form from Curtiss in America to SNCAC at Bourges, France in December 1938 where it was reassembled and in the early part of 1939 was issued to 1ére Escadrille, Groupe de Chasse 11/5, French Air Force at Reims. H-75A-1/No.82 moved during the Battle of France to Toul and then in June 1940 to Oran, Algeria in Vichy North Africa. Having survived the Second World War, between 1946 and 1949, H-75A-1/No.82 served as an advanced trainer with the L’Ecole de l’aviation de chasse 4 at Cazaux in western France. At the end of its service life in the 1949, H-75A-1/No.82 was bought and saved from scrapping and went into storage in France until acquired by The Fighter Collection in 1995. H-75A-1/No.82 arrived in the UK in 2005 following its first flight in October 2004 after an extensive overhaul to airworthiness at Chino, USA.
Curtiss H-75A-1 Hawk/French AF/82/(G-CCVH)
P-40F/41-19841 was built at the Curtiss factory in Buffalo, New York in the autumn of 1942 and delivered to the Stockton In-Transit Depot in California for onward shipment to the 13th Air Force in the Southwest Pacific on Christmas Eve 1942 and flown with probably either the 44th or 68th Fighter Squadrons of the 347th Fighter Group in the Solomon Islands. P-40F/41-19841 served with 13th AAF until June 1943 and was Struck Of Charge in August 1943 where it was dumped on the largest of Vanautu’s islands, Espiritu Santo and remained there until salvaged 1970s and acquired by The Fighter Collection a few years later and stored in Australia. By 2007 P-40F/41-19841 was with Precision Aerospace, Victoria and registered in October 2010 as VH-PIV. Restoration was completed at Wangaratta Airport, Victoria and and it’s first flight in 68 years took place April 2011. VH-PIV arrived at Duxford in June 2011 a week before making it’s British debut at The Flying Legends Air Show. Due to the lack of any information concerning the markings and colours used by P-40F/41-19841 in the Pacific Theatre of Operations, the airframe has been given the temporary Mediterranean Theatre of Operations markings of P-40F-20/’Lee’s Hope’ from the 85th Fighter Squadron, 79th Fighter Group when flown by 1st Lt Robert J Duffield operating out of Capodichino Airfield, now Naples International Airport, in early 1944.
Curtiss P-40F Warhawk/USAAF/XI-7/41-19841/(G-CGZP)
The Swedish Air Force acquired 72 Fiat CR.42s, Swedish AF designation J-11, between February 1940 and September 1941. By November 1941 all J-11’s were assigned to F9 (Flottilj/Wing) at Säve, Gothenburg. While being flown by conscript Corporal Pilot Bertil Klintman, Fv nr.2542, marked F9-10 crashed during a low flying mission in bad weather at Tarnatjakko, in the North of Sweden. It remained there until recovered by helicopter in 1983 with the airframe being acquired by The Fighter Collection in 1995. The aircraft has been under restoration in both the UK and Italy with the fuselage being rebuilt by Associazione Restauro Aeronautico at Venegone, Italy and shipped to Duxford in February 2006. It received the Civilian registration G-CBLS in July 2005.
Built in 1939 by Gloster Aircraft Company Ltd, Hucclecote, Gloucester, N5903 was delivered to the re-formed No.141 Fighter Squadron at Turnhouse, Scotland, before being replaced by Boulton Paul Defiants in April 1940. In February 1948 Glosters buy Gladiators L8032 & N5903 from the Air Ministry and both are delivered disassembled to Air Service Training, Ansty in 1950 and used as Instructional airframes. Vivian Bellamy/Flightways Ltd, Eastleigh, Southampton acquires N5980 from AST in December 1951 along with L8032 which is now flying with the Shuttleworth Collection as G-AMRK. N5980 also found its way to the Shuttleworth Collection in 1960 and was loaned out to the Fleet Air Arm Museum, RNAS Yeovilton, between 1978/91 where it was displayed as Sea Gladiator N2276. N5980 was acquired by The Fighter Collection in 1994, and registered a G-GLAD in January 1995, when it underwent a restoration to flying condition when if flew again in July 2008.
Fiat Aeronautica D’Italia CR.42 Falco(Falcon)/Mfg No.920/SWEDISH AF ID:2542/(G-CBLS)
Gloster Gladiator II/N5903/SerNo.G5/75751/(G-GLAD)
Built under licence from Chance-Vought, Goodyear Corsair FG-1D/BuNo 88297 rolled off the Goodyear Aircraft Corporation production line at their facility in Akron, Ohio and accepted by the US Navy in April 1945. Delivered to Marine Air Wing 2 (MAW-2) aircraft pool, at Guam in the Pacific in May 1945 but by October 1945, BuNo 88297 was under repair in the Philippines following an accident and in December that year returned to the US mainland. From San Diego BuNo 88297 was allocated in June 1946 to US Naval Air Reserve squadrons first at Minneapolis and from November 1947 to Jacksonville, Florida then in March 1948 to Memphis until November 1948. Following an overhaul at Jacksonville in October 1949 it went into storage at Litchfield Park, Arizona until July 1950. Following another overhaul at Jacksonville BuNo 88297 returned to Minneapolis in August 1950 before moving to Florida, Jacksonville, Columbus, Ohio and in March 1953, back to Litchfield Park before being Struck of Charge and offered for sale in March 1956. In January 1959 it was sold to ALU-MET Smelters where it remained until January 1960 when bought by legendary stunt-pilot Frank Tallman and registered as N9154Z and restored to flying condition at the Tallmantz Collection/Movieland of the Air, Orange County, CA. In January 1966 ownership passed to Rosen Novak Auto Co., Omaha and in March 1967 to Johan M Larsen in Minneapolis where from 1973 to 1975 it was on display at the Minnesota Aircraft Museum. Dr Louis Antonacci acquired N9154Z in January 1979 when it was re-registered as N8297 which was eventually cancelled in March 1986 when it was exported following acquisition by The Fighter Collection. Registered as G-FGID in November 1991.
Goodyear (Chance-Vought) FG-1D Corsair/KD345/130-A/BuNo 88297/(G-FGID)
5765 was built at the General Motors (Eastern Aircraft Division) production line at Trenton, New Jersey for the USN and taken on charge in July 1945 and immediately placed in storage at Tillamook, Oregon, and struck off charge in February 1946. 5765 was bought by Dale Newton, Medford, Oregon in 1964. Acquired by Eric Mingledorf in 1975 and displayed at the Chennault Air Museum in California until 1992 and during that time was registered as N4845V. From 1992 she was restored by the Yanks Air Museum and Steve Hinton at Fighter Rebuilders, Chino, California and in January 1993 she flew for the first time in over 30 years by Steve Hinton. After completing test flying, N4845V was dismantled and transported to the UK by ship when leased to The Fighter Collection at Duxford where she arrived in April 1993 and on re-assembly flew at Duxford in May 1993. Re-registered as G-RUMW in April 1998.
Grumman FM-2 Wildcat/JV579/F/ Bu 86711/(G-RUMW)
Bu.No.121714 was Brought on Charge with the US Navy in 1945 and over the next 10 years, served at various Naval Air Stations and eventually Struck of Charge in 1955. Acquired in 1957 by Ed Maloney of The Air Museum, California and registered as N4995V and remained there until 1972 when acquired by B&S advertising Inc, Knoxville, Tennessee and remained there until 1998. In 1977, N4995V was re-registered as N700H and in 1981 as N700HL. Acquired by Stephen Grey for The Fighter Collection in 1981, and delivered to Geneva from the USA and flown as VF-11/S-100. It was moved to Duxford in 1998 and registered as G-RUMM and is the longest serving aircraft in the TFC fleet.
Hawker Nimrod I/S1581/573/(G-BWWK)
Allocated the construction number 41H-43617, S1581 was the fourth production aircraft built in 1931 in the first production batch by Hawker Engineering Company at Kingston-upon-Thames. S1581 was delivered in 1932 to No.408 Flight on HMS Glorious as ‘573’. Until the start Second World War, the Fleet Air Arm was still under the command of the Royal Air Force and the FAA Flights became Squadrons in 1933 with ‘573’ becoming part of No. 803 Naval Air Squadron and remained with HMS Glorious until written off in an accident 1938. The remains were eventually sold for scrap and re-discovered in West London scrapyard in the early 1970’s and donated to the RAF Museum. Viv Bellamy acquired the remains in the early 1980’s to use a a pattern for his Hawker Fury replica and they were eventually purchased by Aero Vintage in 1994 for restoring back to flying condition. In 1999 a trial assembly of the airframe took place and in early 2000 a Rolls-Royce Kestrel V was installed and test run. Flt Lt Charlie Brown took S1581 for a test flight from RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire in July 200 finished in the colours ‘573’ wore during its operational life. S1581 was registered to The Fighter Collection in August 2002.
Although built at the Hawker Factory at Kingston-upon-Thames, XV653 was assembled and test flown at the Hawker factory and aerodrome at Langley, Buckinghamshire. Delivered to the Receipt & Despatch Unit RNAS Anthorn in September 1949 and transferred to 736 RNAS at St Merryn in November 1949. XV653 then moved to RNAS CUldrose in February 1950 joining 738 RNAS. By May 1950, XV653 was at the Royal Naval Air Yard Donibristle for inspection and repair before returning to 738 RNAS in March 1951. XV653 was back at Donibristle in September 1951 following an undercarriage collapse on landing. Repaired and XV653 was transferred to the Naval Air Maintenance Development Unit at RNAS Gosport in February 1953 and then to the Aircraft Holding Unit at RNAS Anthorn in September 1953. In November 1953, XV653 move to 188 RNAS at Arbroath before moving to the A.H.U at Hal Far, Malta and returned to the UK in June 1954. In November 1954, XV653 move to RNAY Donibristle and following a Cat 4 repair moved in November 1955 to RDU Anthorn for storage. In October 1957, XV653 was allocated to Airwork Flight Refuelling Unit at Hurn before moving to AHU Lossiemouth in March 1960. XV653 eventually became a gate guard at Lossiemouth in 1968 and was eventually Struck of Charge in August 1969 with the aircraft being retained for preservation. Following a move by road to RNAS Yeovilton in June 1970 it then moved to RNAS Lee-on-Solent before being allocated to the FAA Museum for storage in November 1970. It was on display at Boscombe Down in May 1971 before being transferred to the RAF Museum in December 1975. XV653 was acquired by The Fighter Collection in November 1991 as part of a deal with the RAF Museum for TFC to restore Tempest PR536 for the RAF Museum and XV653 was allocated the civil registration of G-BUCM in February 1992 and is on a slow re-build back to flying condition.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11/XV653/(G-BUCM)
Hawker Sea Fury T.20/WG655/GN-910/(G-CHFP)(NX20MD)
Noorduyn AT-16 Harvard IIB/FE695/94/(G-BTXI)
North American TF-51D Mustang/ “Miss Velma”/CY-D/44-84847/(G-TFSI)
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1A/AR213/JZ-E/(G-AIST)
Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire LF.Vb/EP120/AE-A/(G-LFVB)
Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire XIVe/MV268/JE-J/(G-SPIT)
PK624 rolled off the Castle Bromwich production line as a Griffon powered Mk.22 and delivered to No.33 MU, Lyneham in December 1945. Remained at Lyneham unitll allocated to Vickers-Armstrong, Southampton in December 1946 for modification to be carried out. Flown to No.6 MU, Brize Norton in June 1947. Placed in storage until allocated No.614(County of Glamorgan) Sqdn, RAuxAF based at Llandow in August 1948. Flown back to No.6 MU for storage in October 1950, passing on to No. 9 MU at Cosford shortly afterwards. Delivered in the markings of No.541 Sqdn/A-WY to Airwork, based at Gatwick, in March 1951 for possible sale to Syria. Re-delivered to Cosford in in July 1952 and declared non-effective by the Air Ministry in June 1953 and eventually bought by Vickers-Armstrong in February 1954. PK624 next surfaces at North Weald in 1957 as a Station Flight aircraft although believed to be privately owned and flown by a member of No.604 RAuxAF in unofficial military markings. PK624 was abandoned at North Weald when the Squadron disbanded and the engineless airframe was used as a gate guard before moving to Uxbridge in 1958 as a gate guard and then to Northolt in 1963. Allocated to Henlow in 1968 for the Battle of Britain film and used for spares and didn’t appear in the film then returned back to Northolt. Renovation started at Northolt before PK624 moved to Abington in July 1970 where it was restored in the markings of No.614Sqdn/PK624/RAU-T and then on gate guard at Abington with the Maintenance Serial/8072M. In 1989 it was placed in storage at St Athan before being bought by The Fighter Collection in 1994.
Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire F.22/PK624/RAU-T/(Awaiting Restoration)
Curtiss P-40C Warhawk/10AB160/(G-CIIO)